Thursday, February 23, 2006

WU - Feb 23rd, 2006

Feb 23rd, 2006

So, it's been another week. I can't believe how fast time is flying! Here's a little bit of what's going on.

Dalton Waddell is back from the hospital. He's going to physical therapy everyday and will be for a while from what I'm told. The mom and dad (Jen and Brad, respectively) are under a lot of stress and are handling it very well. We go over there and help them with any number of things. They say that we bring the spirit and help them calm down and unwind whenever we're there. And that's good, because I love visiting them. If you noticed that this weekly update is a day late, it's because we were at their home doing service all day yesterday. Brad was overwhelmed with things to do so he called us up and asked us if we could help. Naturally, we said “yes.” It was good. I had fun. Elder Walton had fun too.

Regarding Elder Walton. I love Elder Walton. He's such a fun guy. However, I'm sure that the Lord is using him as a means of helping me grow. I've learned a lot about patience and long-suffering with him. I've also learned the value of communicating. Oh... my gosh. I know that I would have completely lost it about two weeks into this transfer if it weren't for the talks that we had. If both of us weren't willing to talk with one another, I think both of us would have been miserable for the remaining six weeks of this transfer. We get along well and we help each other out for the most part. I'm glad he's my companion, even if he drives me crazy and sometimes acts in a way that I disapprove of. Because, I'm sure that I drive him nuts sometimes too. I'm understanding more and more how a mission prepares those who serve for marriage. If we weren't willing to be patient and forgive one another. This would have been a horrible three months. I'm looking forward to the time when I get to pick my permanent companion. *wink wink* I'm more than willing to put in my part. And I'll know who she is. So, being on a mission is just a great big adventure as far as companions are concerned. I don't get to pick them and so, that will make me that much more grateful for the opportunity to pick my wife. (You know who you are!)

I got a letter from my brother, Shaun. I find great comfort in knowing that he is doing his best to serve his mission. He is going through many of the exact same struggles and trials that I'm going through (no, I'm not telling everybody what they are, because the purpose of these updates is to inform and encourage. Not to whine! Much like weekly letters to the President should be. -to any prospective missionaries out there, DON'T COMPLAIN TO YOUR MISSION PRESIDENT! He's got enough complainers, he needs more problem solvers and peace-makers! Do your best to be one!-) I miss getting emails form him but I truly enjoy getting letters from him. I love him so much! (I LOVE YOU, SHAUN! KEEP ON PREACHING!)

We have another baptism set! It's Jeff Schnakenberg, the same guy elder Marley and I taught a while ago. He's ready to give up sex drinking and smoking so he can be baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on March 21st! I'm so excited for him. He would have been baptized sooner, but he'll be out of town (in Alabama) on business until March 20th. So, we're all praying for him.

The McCanns. I'm pretty sure that Nicole (Sister McCann) knows the church is true and I think that Aaron (Brother McCann) is just being stubborn and finding reasons to... He's concerned about Joseph Smith. From what I understand he's not so sure he was a prophet. But, he still hasn't sincerely prayed about it. I know that if he does, God will answer him. The same stands true for anything spiritual. If you really want to know, and you ask God with a sincere heart, he WILL let you know whether or not it's true. He's promised to throughout the scriptures. It's a marvelous promise, but the scriptures also say, “ASK and ye shall receive.” God can't answer a question that you never ASK. So, we explained the importance of prayer to him (again), only this time, it didn't come from just us missionaries. Why? Because we had dinner with the McCanns in a member's home. The Langford's, who live right up the street agreed to open their home to the McCanns for dinner and a lesson on Tuesday night. It went wonderfully! The Langford's shared their testimonies with the McCanns and answered some of the questions that were asked. At one point in the evening, Nicole asked Cody -sp? Codi- (Brother Langford) what his testimony was. He said, “Of what? I have a testimony of many things but I'll start with my testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith.” He then shared his testimony of prayer and the restored power of the priesthood and a few other things. I know that everyone there felt the spirit. It was great.

Paul Janner. You may recall me mentioning Paul Janner in an earlier update. (See, Jan 18th's entry) Well, we've been visiting him off and on for a while, now. We've been there three or four times and Elder Walton doesn't like the idea of going back. Why? Because Paul's a tough customer. He has beliefs that are so to the truth but because of a man named Fred, they aren't quite right and distance him from seeking the truth. Fred is someone who Paul has listened to and accepted ideas from. Fred has taught Paul to pray to know the truth about the scriptures but has given him knowledge that leads Paul to believe that he doesn't need to pray. And so, teaching Paul is a matter of testifying and inviting him to read and sincerely pray about the Book of Mormon and the things that we teach. Why does Elder Walton continue to return if he doesn't think that Paul will be baptized? Part of the reason is because I keep... encouraging him to do so. But the other (and more important) reason is Paul's daughter, Kristina. She is listening! She is learning! The last two times that we've been back to visit Paul, we've gone with our ward mission leader, Brother Stewart. And while there, Brother Stewart and Elder Walton will talk with Paul, while I teach Kristina. We're all in the same room, but Paul is focused on his conversation on his half of the room, and Kristina's focused on ours. The last time we were there (last Saturday), I taught much of the material covered in the three main lessons that we teach as missionaries. All three! I know that she felt the spirit! It was very strong! So strong in fact, that elder Walton told me that he felt it sitting on the other side of the room in an entirely different conversation. It was amazing. I explained that missionaries can change as often as every six weeks and I promised her that she would not be forgotten or lost in that mix. I've told Brother Stewart and his daughter about Kristina's interest and they are both doing what they can to start getting her involved with the youth as soon as possible. The problem at the moment is that she (Kristina) has a broken ankle and the young women's activities until march 11th consist of little else than... drum roll... basketball. Perfect, huh? Needless to say, that's not a very good activity if your ankle is broken. So, hopefully, she will get involved with the young women soon.

Well, time's up for me here. I love you all and I'll talk to you next week.

Keep true to the faith and keep Praying, God IS listening and He does care.

I love you!

~Elder Penrod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home