Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Weekly Update - August 30, 2006

August 30th, 2006

Okay. So I haven't written an update for a while now. Two weeks I think. It is most certainly long overdue. So, here we go!

 

In the past few weeks, quite a bit has happened:

·        I've been transferred to Olathe, Kansas.

·        I have a new companion.

·        DeWayne Kitchen (in the Park Hill Ward) was baptized.

·        I've recognized a need for change and growth on my part.

 

- Okay. First: "I've been transferred to Olathe, Kansas" - Last week, as noted in a quick little email I sent out to everyone, I was transferred from those that I had grown to love with all my heart in Derby, KS. I was sad to go, but I really do believe that it's because I was needed somewhere else. Here, in Olathe even. The work, simply put, doesn't exist here. It's like Derby when I first got there. That means that there's much to be done and quite a bit of hard, prayerful work to be done if we are going to get it up off the ground. It was such a blessing to see how the work just blossomed… exploded even, as my companion and I really worked in Derby. I'm totally willing (and able) to do that again here. It won't happen overnight, I know. (It took a few months in Derby!) But someone's got to get the ball rolling. It might as well be NOW!

  As I think about it, I'm recognizing how much easier it is to keep the work moving forward once it's already going, than it is to get it started again. That's something I've always said: "The hardest part is always starting." How appropriate it is to recognize that as we are faithful, the Lord WILL bless us. As we show faith on OUR part, God will do His part. In our case, it will be blessing us with people to teach. I'm excited to see what can be done here with my new companion. Which leads me to my next point…

 

- "I have a new companion." – His name is Elder Downard. I like him. He's from Idaho and makes sure everyone knows it. Think, " Texas pride"… Only, for Idaho! (It's actually kind of funny. *smile*) He's actually on the tail-end of his mission. (Less than three months left) So, I've got to not only keep him focused and not "trunky" (Yeah, he gets trunky really bad sometimes!) but I've got to make sure that I don't get trunky. It can be contagious if you're not careful, you know what I mean? But I know he's a good missionary! He teaches very well and I'm super-excited for the next few weeks with him.

 

- "DeWayne Kitchen was baptized!" – That's right, everyone! He was baptized last Saturday! (August 26th, 2006) What a birthday treat!!! (Oh yeah, I'm 21 now! Crazy!!!) I just wish I could have been there. But the important thing is that it happened!!! For which, I am extremely grateful!

 

- "I've recognized a need for change and growth on my part." – Particularly my focus and effort. Not that I'm being lazy, but I need to be more diligent. Does that make sense? Kind of like how there's a difference between "bad" and "not good." Did that make sense either? I hope so. Anyways, I was thinking about the scripture in the Doctrine and Covenants that talks about being "anxiously engaged in a good cause." Well, I know I'm engaged in a good cause. There is no greater work in this life than to bring others to Christ. ("…by helping them receive the restored gospel through Faith in Jesus Christ…") But I got to thinking… "Am I ' anxiously' engaged?!," "Is there more I can be doing?" Upon recently pondering these questions, I decided that there was! I read the Book of Mormon daily, but I haven't been able (or rather, focused enough) to finish any of the books in the Missionary library. That's simply terrible. There is so much to be learned in those books and I haven't learned them yet! Grr! Sometimes I frustrate myself. I've decided to rededicate myself to doing my BEST. To being anxiously engaged in this cause. I know that as I do, Satan will do everything he can to discourage me, but I know in whom I have put my trust. And that's the Lord! Through Him, all things are possible… Even the molding of me into an honorable, dependable and faithful man.

 

I love the Gospel! I'm so blessed to be among those who are counted in His service. I hope to be one that all of you and the Lord can be proud of.

 

Thank you ALL for all you do. Please, continue to keep me in your prayers.

 

I love you!

 

Your Son, Brother and Friend:

   ~Elder Garn Mosiah Penrod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home